Abesha Gomen (Ethiopian Collard Greens)
Abesha Gomen (Ethiopian Collard Greens) are greens at their best. Silky smooth and full of flavor, perfect alongside your favorite Ethiopian cuisine.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bere bere spice (see Instructions below)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bunch collards , chopped in bite size leaves
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- Juice of half a lemon
- salt and pepper , to taste
- Prepare Bere Bere Spice Blend.
- Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Saute garlic and onion for 3 minutes.
- Add ginger and ground spices and cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
- Add collard greens and broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally until greens are soft and tender and majority of liquid has evaporated, ~15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice and add salt and pepper to taste.