Hearty African Peanut Stew
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 3 stalks celery , chopped (with leaves)
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper , minced
- 1 zucchini , cubed
- 1 large sweet potato , cubed
- 1/2 head cauliflower , cut in florets
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 can (28 ounce) diced tomatoes , no salt added
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup quinoa , dry
- 2 cans chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- unsalted roasted peanuts , optional garnish
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in large pot. Add ginger, garlic, onion, celery, peppers and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients up to and including chickpeas, and stir until combined. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir in spinach and cilantro. Top each dish with a handful of roasted peanuts and serve.
Adapted from Food and Nutrition Magazine.