Anything Goes Bulgur can be served as a side with just about anything. The addition of veggies adds more flavor, color, and nutrition! Mix in some protein-rich chickpeas and this side can easily become a healthy complete meal. Would also taste great with some chopped, pitted olives.
Anything Goes Bulgur
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped
- 1 head broccoli , chopped in bite-size pieces
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1 1/2 cups dry bulgur
- 2 cups low-sodium veggie broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 teaspoons rosemary leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 2 cups fresh spinach , loosely packed
- pine nuts , roasted (optional)
- crumbled feta cheese , optional
- ground black pepper , to taste
- Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, sautéing until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add bulgur, water and veggie broth. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, add spices and simmer for 15-25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, spread broccoli, bell pepper and tomatoes on baking sheet in a single layer. Roast at 375° for 25 -35 minutes, until beginning to brown.
- Stir in spinach and roasted veggies into cooked bulgur. Sprinkle with pine nuts, crumbled feta and ground pepper if desired.
- Serve warm or cold.