This Arabic Okra Stew is quick and simple and can be served as a side dish or as a main dish over whole grain rice or with wheat pita bread.
Arabic Okra Stew
This stew is quick and simple and can be served as a side dish or as a main dish over whole grain rice or with wheat pita bread.
- 2 pounds okra , or about 5 1/2 cups, ends removed
- 8 ounces button mushrooms , sliced
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes , undrained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon marjoram
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro , leaves removed and chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley leaves
- To large pot over medium high heat, add all ingredients except for fresh herbs. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally 30-35 minutes or until okra is fork tender and flavors are well combined.
- Remove from heat and stir in fresh cilantro and parsley.