Arabic Okra Stew
This stew is quick and simple and can be served as a side dish or as a main dish over whole grain rice or with wheat pita bread.
- 2 lbs okra or about 5 1/2 cups, ends removed
- 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 Tbsp marjoram
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves removed and chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley leaves
- To large pot over medium high heat, add all ingredients except for fresh herbs. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally 30-35 minutes or until okra is fork tender and flavors are well combined. Remove from heat and stir in fresh cilantro and parsley.