This recipe for Argentine Rice and Beans involves a little bit of work but with a lot of reward on the taste. Saffron, paprika, cumin and oregano make for a perfect marriage of color and flavor. As usual, we can’t leave out the vegetables! But, always feel free to substitute your favorite veggies or what you might have on hand to compliment this Argentine Rice and Beans dish.
Argentine Rice and Beans
- 1 1/4 cups dry brown rice
- 1/2 cup dry red quinoa
- 3 cups veggie broth
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh oregano leaves (or 1/2 tsp dry)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 generous pinch of saffron
- 1 small onion
- 4 cans black beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14.5 oz) tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno , finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano (or 1 1/2 tsp dry)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lime , juiced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves , chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion , sliced in strips
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh oregano (or 1/2 tsp dry)
- 2 bell peppers , sliced in strips
- 1 yellow squash , sliced
- 2 zucchini squash , sliced
- 8 oz mushrooms , sliced
- To prepare rice: add all ingredients to a medium pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes or until rice is fully cooked and liquid has been absorbed.
- To prepare beans: Add all ingredients to pot except for lime and parsley. Cook over low heat for 30 minutes for flavors to meld. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice and fresh parsley.
- To prepare vegetables: Heat oil over medium-high heat in fry pan or wok. Saute onions and garlic 2-3 minutes. Add spices and saute 1 minute. Add remaining vegetables and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon rice, beans and vegetables on a plate. Top with paprika sauce and/or fresh chimichurri sauce.