Aush (Afghan Noodle Soup) is a swirl of delicate flavors that create layers of warm, savory goodness. Serve with a chunk of whole wheat bread or a side salad.
Aush (Afghan Noodle Soup)
This Afghan-inspired soup is a swirl of delicate flavors that create layers of warm, savory goodness. Serve with a chunk of whole wheat bread or a side salad.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped
- 1 cup carrots , chopped
- 3 stalks celery , chopped
- 1 can kidney beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces mushrooms , chopped
- 9 cups low-sodium veggie broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 cup whole wheat elbow macaroni noodles
- 1 cup veggie crumbles
- 4 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup almonds , chopped
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- Non-fat plain Greek yogurt or non-fat sour cream , optional
- Fresh mint or parsley , optional
- Heat oil in soup pot over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic 3 minutes.
- Add celery, pepper and carrots and saute 4 minutes.
- Add beans, chickpeas, mushrooms, veggie broth and seasonings. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- Add elbow noodles and veggie crumbles and simmer, covered, about 10 minutes, or until noodles are tender.
- Stir in spinach until wilted and remove from heat.
- Top with a spoon of Greek yogurt or sour cream, sliced almonds, golden raisins and fresh mint or parsley before serving.