This Basic Whole Wheat Couscous recipe comes together in a flash using items you probably already have on hand. This simple and tasty side dish pairs well with just about anything and is a great way to introduce some whole grains to the family. Feel free to liven up with fresh herbs, roasted garlic, splash of lemon, red wine vinegar or parmesan cheese.
Basic Whole Wheat Couscous
- 1 cup dry whole wheat couscous
- 1 1/3 cups low-sodium veggie broth or chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots , thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Ground black pepper , to taste
- Bring broth to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in couscous and vegetables.
- Cover and let sit for 7 minutes or until broth is absorbed.
- Stir in seasonings and fluff with a fork.