One of the few things I miss about being vegetarian is BBQ chicken pizza. So I had to improvise to satisfy this craving. Hence, BBQ Tofu Deep-Dish Pizza was born.
For this BBQ Tofu Deep-Dish Pizza I use a combination of mozzarella, cheddar and parmesan cheeses to complement the BBQ sauce along with some pineapple for a sweet and tangy bite.
Of course, if you prefer, you can use grilled chicken instead, or leave the protein off all-together.
For a nice whole wheat pizza dough, please view my Whole Wheat Pizza Dough recipe.
BBQ Tofu Deep-Dish Pizza
- 1/3 head cauliflower , cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 brick firm tofu , well drained (see Instructions below)
- 1/2 onion , chopped in wedges
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce , separated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 recipe for whole wheat pizza dough (see Instructions below)
- 1/3 red bell pepper , sliced
- 1/4 cup pineapple tidbits , drained
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar
- Dried oregano
- Handful of fresh parsley , chopped
- Grated parmesan cheese , optional
- Prepare pizza dough by viewing my Whole Wheat Pizza Dough recipe.
- Separate dough in half and save other half for later. It freezes well for up to 3 months.
- Meanwhile, if using tofu, drain well. Watch my video How to Drain Tofu in 3 Easy Steps – it's the key to having perfectly textured tofu every time.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss tofu , onion, and cauliflower in 2 teaspoons oil. Roast in oven for ~25 minutes, flipping once mid-way, or until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from oven and toss in 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce.
- Heat oven to 500F.
- Add oil to cast iron pan. If you don't have a deep dish pan, use a baking sheet or pizza pan and depending on thickness you roll dough out to, cut down cook time as needed.
- Press dough into bottom of pan.
- Spread with remaining BBQ sauce.
- Sprinkle with tofu mixture, peppers, pineapple, minced garlic, and cheeses.
- Bake at 500°F for 10-15 minutes or until crust is golden brown and crispy.
- Sprinkle with oregano, parsley and parmesan before serving.