This Bright and Bold Veggie Succotash dish is both hearty and packed with nutrition! Perfect for a Meatless Monday night dinner. Serve over your favorite whole-grain such as whole wheat couscous, bulgur, quinoa, or brown rice.
Bright and Bold Veggie Succotash
This Bright and Bold Veggie Succotash is a hearty, satiating twist on a boring vegetable stew.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion , finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 stalks celery , chopped
- 2 large zucchini squash , diced
- 1 large yellow/summer squash , diced
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped
- 3 cups chopped eggplant
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes , no-salt-added
- 1 cup frozen lima beans
- 1 can black-eyed peas , rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper , to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup low-sodium veggie broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 splashes Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley , finely chopped
- Heat oil in large skillet or pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery and garlic, sautéing until onion turns translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients up to and including tomato paste.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add a couple splashes of balsamic vinegar and stir in fresh parsley.
- Serve over brown rice, quinoa, bulgur or whole-wheat couscous.