This Carrot Cardamom Stew is a little nutty, a little sweet and creamy to perfection. The cardamom really shines as the star of this dish. Enjoy over brown rice, quinoa or barley. Top with raisins, pine nuts and yogurt if desired.
Carrot Cardamom Stew
This Carrot Cardamom Stew is a little nutty, a little sweet and creamy to perfection.
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 red onion , chopped
- 1 stalk celery , chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper , chopped
- 1 pound carrots , chopped
- 1 1/4 cups dry lentils
- 2 sweet potatoes , peeled and chopped
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- ~20 cardamom seeds removed from pods
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- raisins and pine nuts , optional
- In large soup pot, saute garlic, onions, celery and pepper over medium-low heat in olive oil. Add ingredients up to but not including tahini. Bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until lentils and potatoes are tender.
- Stir in tahini and mash sweet potatoes partially to thicken stew. Serve over a scoop of brown rice, topping with a sprinkle of raisins and pine nuts if desired.