Corn Chowder with Chimichurri Sauce is a very basic and simple corn chowder livened up with a zesty Chimichurri Sauce. The silken tofu adds a rich and creamy texture while beefing up the protein and limiting unwanted fats. It is satisfying as a stand-alone meal but we love this soup served with my hearty Green Machine Muffins.
Corn Chowder with Chimichurri Sauce
- 3 cans corn , leave 2 undrained
- 2 yellow or gold potatoes , cubed
- 3 stalks celery , chopped
- 1 bunch leeks , separated (see below), white and light green parts chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- black pepper , to taste
- low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 brick silken tofu , undrained
For Chimichurri Sauce
- 1 bunch parsley leaves , stems removed
- 1 bunch cilantro , stems removed
- 1 jalapeno , chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper , to taste
- 1 leek , reserved from above, white and light green parts chopped
- salt , to taste
Other Optional Toppings
- Shredded white cheddar cheese
- Sliced avocado
- Cherry tomato halves
- Place veggies (including 2 cans of corn with liquid and 1 can drained) in a large pot. Sprinkle with spices. Add enough veggie broth just to barely cover the top of the ingredients. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Take off stovetop and remove bay leaves. Add silken tofu. Using an immersion blender (or countertop blender), blend to desired texture (I like leaving just a little bit of chunkiness).
- While soup is cooking, add sauce ingredients to a food processor and pulse until herbs are finely chopped but not fully smooth.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowl and drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons of chimichurri sauce.
- Top with shredded cheddar and/or chives if desired.
- Serve with my hearty Green Machine Muffins.