This Creamy Corn Chowder recipe has all the rich and creamy flavors you’d expect with more protein and less fat. The secret: silken tofu.
Creamy Corn Chowder
You won’t be missing the heavy cream with this dish. A great fall or anytime soup, pairs well with fresh crusty whole-grain bread or cornbread.
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 3 small red potatoes , diced
- 1 large sweet potato , diced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 red bell pepper , finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery , finely chopped (leaves included)
- 1 medium onion , finely chopped
- 2 cans (11 ounce) whole kernel corn , no salt added, undrained
- 3 cups vegetable broth , low-sodium
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 Bay leaves
- Ground pepper (I usually do combination of ground black and white pepper, to taste)
- 2/3 package silken tofu
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in large pot.
- Add garlic, onion, celery and bell pepper and sauté until tender about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add potatoes, corn, vegetable broth, and seasonings. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat.
- Discard bay leaves. In a food processor or blender, purée about half of the broth and vegetable mixture with the silken tofu. Process in batches if necessary.
- Combine the puréed mixture with the remaining vegetable and broth mixture.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve topped with low-fat shredded cheddar.