This curried butternut squash with apples and maple tahini sauce screams flavors of Fall. The cinnamon and curry paired with the sweetness of maple and apple alongside the creaminess of tahini made for a healthy snack that tastes sinfully good.
Suggested here to serve atop warm whole wheat pita or naan. Link to naan recipe: https://virtualrdn.com/whole-wheat-naan/.
Also great as a stand alone side dish or atop a salad. Link to salad recipe: https://virtualrdn.com/curried-butternut-squash-apple-and-tahini-salad/.
Curried Butternut Squash with Apples and Maple Tahini Sauce
- 1 recipe for whole wheat naan or pita see recipe link below
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 butternut squash , peeled and cubed
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- salt , to taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 apple , cubed
- 1 can chickpeas , rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- Prepare naan or pita ahead of time. See naan recipe in Notes section below.Whisk together tahini and maple syrup and set aside. To make squash easier to handle this is my preferred method for breaking it down: Slice in half lengthwise. Remove seeds. Place face-down in microwave-safe dish and add in 1/2 inch water to bottom. Microwave on high until easily pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes. Once cooled enough to handle, remove peel and cut in cubes. Preheat oven to 450°F. Spread squash cubes in a single layer on baking sheet lined with parchment or silicon mat. Toss in spices and oil. Roast for 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Add drained chickpeas, apples, lemon juice and toss together with squash. Spread in single layer and roast an additional 8 minutes. Spread 1/4 cup Greek yogurt on each pita or naan. Top with 1/2 cup apple squash mixture. Drizzle with tahini sauce and serve warm.