This curried butternut squash with apples and maple tahini sauce screams flavors of Fall. The cinnamon and curry paired with the sweetness of maple and apple alongside the creaminess of tahini make for an incredibly tasty, yet healthy, snack. Try this Curried Butternut Squash with Apples recipe to celebrate after some fun Fall activities like pumpkin or apple picking!
Suggested here to serve atop pita or my Healthy Whole Wheat Naan recipe.
Also great as a stand alone side dish or atop my Curried Butternut Squash, Apple and Tahini Salad.
Curried Butternut Squash with Apples
- 1 recipe for Healthy Whole Wheat Naan (see Instructions below)
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 butternut squash , peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt , to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 apple , cubed
- 1 can chickpeas , rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- Prepare pita or my Healthy Whole Wheat Naan recipe ahead of time.
- Whisk together tahini and maple syrup and set aside.
- To make squash easier to handle this is my preferred method for breaking it down: Slice in half lengthwise. Remove seeds. Place face-down in microwave-safe dish and add in 1/2 inch water to bottom. Microwave on high until easily pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes. Once cooled enough to handle, remove, peel and cut in cubes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Spread squash cubes in a single layer on baking sheet lined with parchment or silicone mat.
- Toss in spices and oil. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Add drained chickpeas, apples, lemon juice and toss together with squash.
- Spread in single layer and roast an additional 8 minutes.
- Spread 1/4 cup Greek yogurt on each pita or naan.
- Top with 1/2 cup apple squash mixture.
- Drizzle with tahini sauce and serve warm.