- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 large onion , diced
- 1 red bell pepper , diced
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper , diced
- 1 jalapeno , chopped fine (optional)
- 1 can (28 oz.) no-sodium-added diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 3 cups low-sodium veggie broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can pinto beans , drained
- 1 can black or kidney beans , drained
- 1 can low-sodium corn kernels , drained
- 1/2 cup veggie crumbles (optional – for additional protein)
- Fresh cilantro
- Shredded low-fat cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in large pot.
- Saute’ garlic, onion, peppers and jalapeno peppers (if using) until onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, veggie broth and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add beans and spices. Reduce heat to low and simmer soup for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Stir in rice.
- Top with sprinkle of chopped cilantro and shredded cheese.