This Green Dal (Lentil) Curry is creamy and rich with bright notes of ginger, nuttiness from the turmeric and a slight peppery zing. Serve over brown rice to soak in all the goodness.
Green Dal (Lentil) Curry
This curry is creamy and rich with bright notes of ginger, nuttiness from the turmeric and a slight peppery zing. Serve over brown rice to soak in all the goodness.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium onions , white or yellow, chopped
- 3 stalks celery , chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 teaspoons whole mustard seeds
- 3 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cups veggie broth + 2 cups water
- 21 ounces coconut milk (I used a combination of canned whole and canned light)
- 1 1/2 cups dry french green lentils
- 2 zucchini squash , chopped
- 6 cups fresh kale leaves , torn in bite-sized pieces with large stems removed
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- Cooked brown rice
- Fresh cilantro , optional
- Heat oil over medium heat in large pot. Add onion, garlic and celery. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 7-9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion turns translucent.
- Add spices and ginger and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add liquid ingredients, lentils and zucchini. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally for 40 minutes.
- Remove cover and simmer additional 10 minutes to help thicken.
- Stir in kale until wilted.
- Season with pepper and small amount of salt if desired.
- Serve over brown rice, topping with fresh cilantro if desired.