These Green Machine Muffins are a great way to sneak an extra serving of veggies into your day. They are super kid-friendly (and adult friendly too). Moist and tender with just the right amount of sweetness. The family will never realize they are eating something so full of vitamins, minerals and fiber!
Try these Green Machine Muffins as a quick make-ahead breakfast, after-school snack or alongside your favorite soup or salad.
Green Machine Muffins
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chia seeds
- Few dashes nutmeg , optional
- Add applesauce, spinach, berries, honey, lemon juice, oil and egg to a food processor or blender. Pulse until combined (there will still be bits of spinach in small pieces). Add to a large bowl.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Fold in oats, chia seeds and shredded carrots.
- Add a couple of dashes of nutmeg if desired.
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Grease a muffin pan, or use liners to prepare pan.
- Bake in oven for 13-15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with fine moist crumbs.