Healthier Mac and Cheese
This healthier Mac and Cheese recipe has extra fiber, vitamins A and C, and comes together with little fuss. All the creaminess and coziness of regular macaroni but more nutritious. If you and family are game, mix in some wilted spinach or steamed or roasted veggies after the last step such as broccoli, zucchini, brussel sprouts, peppers and asparagus.
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 1/2-2 cups low sodium veggie broth, separated
- 1 lb uncooked pasta, try part or all whole wheat or chicpea variety
- 2 cups milk
- 8 oz low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Ground pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, drain, and set aside. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat and saute onion and garlic until tender. Add butternut squash and 1 1/2 cups of broth, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until squash is tender (about 15 minutes). Using a hand blender or standing blender, blend squash mixture with milk until smooth. Return to pot and stir in cheese until smooth. Add pasta and toss to coat. Thin with additional veggie broth if the sauce is too thick.