This Healthy Hot and Sour Soup is a veggie-loaded take on a Chinese restaurant classic. It will warm you from the inside out, and clear your sinuses too!
Healthy Hot and Sour Soup
Super simple to whip up, this veggie-packed Healthy Hot and Sour soup will warm you from the inside, out.
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger , minced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 stalks celery , chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 8 ounces mushrooms , sliced
- 10 cups veggie broth , separated
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese-five-spice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2-1 1/2 teaspoons red chili flakes , to taste (start with 1/2 tsp and adjust later)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 eggs , whisked
- 1 cup cabbage , purple or white, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) bamboo shoots , rinsed and drained
- 1 cup snow peas
- 2 ounces arugula leaves
- 1 bunch scallions , white and light green parts chopped and set aside
- 1 brick extra-firm tofu , drained, and sliced in strips
- Drain tofu and slice in strips. Watch my video How to Drain Tofu in 3 Easy Steps.
- Heat sesame oil over medium heat in large soup pot. Saute garlic, ginger and celery 2-3 minutes.
- Add cabbage, mushrooms and 9 cups of veggie broth to pot.
- Stir in soy sauce, five-spice, brown sugar and red pepper flakes. Bring to boil.
- Dissolve cornstarch into remaining cup of broth and add to pot along with tofu. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 5-7 minutes.
- With pot over heat, create a whirlpool effect by stirring while drizzling whisked eggs in. This will create ribbons of cooked egg.
- Remove from heat. Add remaining ingredients and serve.
There are many methods to drain tofu. I prefer to wrap in layers of paper towels and leave under a heavy cast iron for 2+ hours, changing towels once mid-way through. Watch my video How to Drain Tofu in 3 Easy Steps.