This Healthy Whole Wheat Naan is crusty on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. My husband claims better than any Indian restaurant version and without any of the butter. Hope you enjoy alongside your favorite Indian cuisine or as a pita or vector for all sorts of your favorite toppings.
Adapted from Half Baked Harvest “Homemade Naan”.
Healthy Whole Wheat Naan
- 1 cup preferred milk , warmed (I use soy)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat milk until warm (90-110°F).
- Add to bowl and sprinkle in yeast and sugar. Gently stir to dissolve. Allow to proof 5-7 minutes, or until yeast begins to create foamy pockets on the surface.
- Add in half of flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in remaining flour until dough comes together. Cover with a damp towel and place in a warm place 90 minutes or until nearly doubled. Dough will be rather sticky.My favorite method is to use a cast iron heated over medium low. If you don't have a cast iron you can use a regular fry pan. Brush pan with oil and heat well.
- Pull off pieces of dough about the size of a tennis ball. Form into a disc with well floured hands or gently roll out on a well floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Place on hot pan and cover pan with foil. Cook 2-3 minutes on the first side, flip and cook an additional 1-2 minutes on the second side or until nicely browned and no longer sticky in the center.