Homemade Peanut Butter
- 15 ounces roasted, shelled, unsalted peanuts
- 1-2 tablespoons peanut oil (canola oil, or vegetable oil)
- Salt , to taste
- Honey or agave nectar (optional, see Notes)
- Cinnamon or nutmeg (optional, see Notes)
- Add peanuts to food processor and blend for 2 to 3 minutes, gradually adding oil as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Place peanut butter in sealed container and store in refrigerator for up to 2 months.
- Stir as needed prior to use if oil begins to separate.
- Serve peanut butter with fresh fruit slices, celery or carrot sticks, or on top of rice cakes or whole-grain toast for a healthy crunchy snack.
For a hint of sweetness, consider blending in a spoonful of honey or agave nectar. Cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin or apple pie spice can also be added for additional flavor.