Jammin’ Jambalaya is a quick and easy one-pot dish that is sure to be a hit at any potluck! Add your favorite proteins as desired: browned veggie sausage or chicken sausage, sautéed shrimp or Cajun fish.
This New Orleans-inspired jambalaya is a quick and easy one-pot dish that is sure to be a hit at any potluck!
- 3 tablespoons canola oil , separated
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) veggie or chicken sausages , sliced
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers , seeded and minced
- 3 stalks celery , chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper , chopped
- 1 zucchini squash , diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes , no salt added
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 can kidney beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 can black-eyed peas , rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of canola oil over medium heat in large pot. Brown sliced sausage, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Set aside, draining on paper towels.
- Return pot to burner. Add remaining oil and sauté onion, garlic, peppers, and celery until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Reduce heat, and simmer with lid 3/4 of the way covered (vented) until liquid is absorbed, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Add sausage during last 15 minutes of cooking.
- Adjust seasoning as needed (I like an extra couple dashes of cayenne to kick up the heat!), and serve hot.