Kale Apple Salad with Honey Citrus Vinaigrette makes a great side dish or can hold its own as a main entrée if topped with your favorite protein such as grilled chicken, salmon, shrimp or tofu. Loaded with vitamin A, vitamin C, fiber, calcium and vitamin K, this well-balanced salad is as nutritious as it is colorful. The chia seeds and walnuts pack an added dose of heart-healthy/anti-inflammatory omega-3’s. Makes: 4 small or 2 large salads.
Kale Apple Salad with Honey Citrus Vinaigrette
- 3 cups baby kale leaves , torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup black or golden raisins
- 1 large green apple , sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola or blue cheese
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper , to taste
- In a large bowl, combine kale, spinach, raisins, apples, walnuts, seeds and cheese.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine vinegar, lemon juice, zest, mustard, honey and olive oil.
- Pour dressing over salad, season with ground pepper, and toss well to combine.