This Lemon Tofu with Hummus Sauce dish is quick and simple and sings with Mediterranean flair. The hummus sauce is rich and velvety without any added oil or butter.
Watch my video How to Drain Tofu in 3 Easy Steps.
If desired, switch tofu for 1 pound of boneless, skinless, thin-cut chicken breasts.
Lemon Tofu with Hummus Sauce
Ingredients for Marinated Tofu
- 1 package extra firm tofu , drained well (see Directions if substituting chicken)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 large lemon, juiced)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary , crushed between fingertips
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- Ground black pepper , to taste
Ingredients for Sauce
- 3 tablespoons prepared spinach artichoke hummus
- Splash balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Reserved marinade
- Wrap tofu in lint-free dish towel or wad of paper towels and drain well for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator (my method: remove tofu from package and squeeze lightly to drain). Watch my video How to Drain Tofu in 3 Easy Steps.
- Change towel once mid-way through.
- Discard paper towels, slice tofu into bite-size pieces about 2” x 1”and place in a shallow dish. Combine remaining marinade ingredients and pour over tofu. Marinade in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place tofu on baking sheet lightly coated with oil, reserving left over marinade. Roast tofu For 30 minutes, flipping midway through.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce by stirring all sauce ingredients in small saucepan until combined. Bring to boil and stir for 1 to 2 minutes, until thickened.
- Remove tofu from oven and top with a drizzle of hummus sauce prior to serving.
- Serve with your favorite side vegetable and whole-grain.
Substituting tofu with 1 pound of boneless, skinless, thin-cut chicken breasts
- Marinate thin-cut breasts in marinade 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
- Cook in preheated 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until juices are bubbling and chicken is no longer pink in the middle.