Lightened Broccoli Cheddar Soup has all the creaminess and comfort with less sodium and fat and an extra punch of protein and veggies.
Lightened Broccoli Cheddar Soup
This spin on a classic soup has all the creaminess and comfort with less sodium and fat and an extra punch of protein and veggies.
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 stalks celery , chopped
- 1 yellow pepper , chopped
- 1 yellow squash , cubed
- 3 yellow potatoes cubed
- 3 crowns broccoli , cut in bite-size florets
- Veggie broth + water (see Instructions)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cans cannellini beans , rinsed and drained
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Ground black pepper , to taste
- Parmesan cheese , optional
- Add garlic, onion, celery, pepper, squash, broccoli and potatoes to a large soup pot.
- Add diluted veggie broth (half veggie broth, half water) until tops of veggies are just covered.
- Stir in mustard and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until veggies are tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in spinach and beans.
- Transfer in sections to a blender or use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- Stir in milk and cheese.
- Serve warm topped with ground pepper and parmesan.