This Maple Bourbon Glazed Tempeh will be your new favorite stir-fry go-to. The blueberries were taking a chance, but, they wound up adding a super beautiful color and subtle flavor punch. It reminds me of a cross between an Asian bourbon sauce and plum sauce. You will have fun savoring all the flavors that compliment one another: ginger, maple, sesame, blueberry and bourbon. Enjoy this Maple Bourbon Glazed Tempeh over brown rice and with your favorite steamed veggies. Because of the sweet factor, a little drizzle of sauce is all you need!
Maple Bourbon Glazed Tempeh
- 1 package tempeh
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- 1 broccoli crown , cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 bell pepper , cut in chunks
- 2 stalks celery , chopped
- 3/4 cup baby carrots
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp bourbon
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 1 inch ginger , minced
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- Cut tempeh in bite-size cubes. Brown on all sides in fry pan or skillet over medium heat, coated lightly with oil (1-2 minutes per side).
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Steam veggies. A simple method for steaming is layering veggies in a microwave-safe dish. Sprinkle lightly with water. Cover and microwave 3-4 minutes.
- To prepare sauce: add sesame oil, maple syrup, soy sauce, bourbon, blueberries, ginger and garlic to a food processor or single-serve blender. Blend until smooth. Add to small sauce pot and simmer 5 minutes. Whisk water and cornstarch together. Add to sauce pot and simmer for 1-2 minutes, whisking frequently until thickened.