This Lean and Mean Mexican Chicken is full of fun Mexican flavors. It takes only a minute to throw together essentially your own taco-seasoning and saves a ton on the sodium. With the lively lime and tomato combo you won’t be missing the salt. It’s also super fun to top with fresh cilantro as well as salsa, sliced avocado, or your other favorite toppings.
Enjoy your Lean and Mean Mexican Chicken alongside fresh corn and steamed vegetables or salad greens. Can also be sliced or shredded and made into a healthy taco salad or added to enchiladas or quesadillas.
- 4 thin cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper , optional for added heat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lime , juiced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup low-fat shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- In a small bowl mix whisk together seasonings with olive oil, lime juice, and tomato paste
- Add to storage bag with chicken. Seal and toss well to coat. Marinate at least 30 minutes and up to overnight.
- Heat skillet over medium and coat lightly with oil.
- Brown chicken for 3 to 4 minutes on first side. Flip and top with cheese while cooking on the second side an additional 3-4 minutes or until cooked through (no longer pink in center).
- Eat as is or slice/shred to make a perfect filling for chicken quesadillas, taco salad or enchiladas.
- Top with fresh cilantro as well as salsa, sliced avocado, or your other favorite toppings!