This Very Green Mexican Salad recipe takes an ordinary salad and brings in some extraordinary flavor! Perfect-sized recipe for two and satisfying enough to hold its own as a main entrée. Consider putting out small dishes of whatever Mexican toppings you have on hand and have fun layering as you desire!
Very Green Mexican Salad
Ingredients for Salsa
- 2 roma tomatoes , pulp removed and finely chopped
- 1/4 Red onion , finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper , finely chopped
- 2 scallions , white and light green parts finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic , minced
Ingredients for Dressing
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon water
Ingredients for Salad
- 1 cup broccoli florettes
- 1/2 cup asparagus , chopped bite-sized
- 4 cups romaine lettuce , chopped, about 1 romaine head
- 1/2 green bell pepper , thinly sliced
- 1/2 avocado , diced
- Chili powder , to taste
- Oregano , to taste
- Black pepper , to taste
Suggested Toppings (optional)
- 1/4 cup corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons sliced olives
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Sliced grilled chicken breast
- Grilled shrimp
- 1/3 cup black beans
- Combine all salsa ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a separate small dish, stir together dressing ingredients until combined.
- Add broccoli and asparagus to a microwave-safe bowl, sprinkle lightly with water, and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes to steam. Cool slightly.
- To serve: divide romaine between 2 large salad bowls.
- Top with steamed veggies, green pepper, avocado and a scoop of salsa.
- Top with your favorite additional toppings (see suggestions above).
- Lightly sprinkle with chili powder, oregano, and black pepper.
- Dress and serve.