This Moroccan Chickpea Stew is loaded with bold flavors that make for a warm and hearty one-pot nutrient-rich meal. Just the right amount of exotic tastes to wake up your tastebuds while still being familiar and comforting.
Moroccan Chickpea Stew
This Moroccan Chickpea Stew is loaded with bold flavors that make for a warm and hearty one-pot nutrient-rich meal.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion , chopped
- 2 stalks celery , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 bell pepper , chopped
- 2 jalapenos , minced
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 2 zucchini squash , chopped
- 1 yellow squash or 2 Asian eggplants , chopped
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes , no salt added
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 13.5 oz can of light coconut milk
- 2 cans chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 limes , juiced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Prepare quinoa using vegetable broth, simmering, covered, 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
- Heat large fry pan or wok over medium heat. Saute garlic, onion, ginger in olive oil for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. Add spices and saute 2 minutes. Add remaining veggies and saute 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, honey, coconut milk and chickpeas. Simmer on low for 25 minutes, stirring on occasion.
- Remove from heat and stir in quinoa, lime juice and cilantro.