This Sesame Orange Chicken is a spin on your favorite Chinese takeout. Lightened up with just the right amount of sweet and spicy to make every bite really enjoyable. Perfect with broccoli and spinach or your other favorite veggies. Would be fun to add some baby corn and bok choy or Chinese cabbage.
Sesame Orange Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts , cut in bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups dry brown rice , prepared according to package
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder , minced
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce such as Sriracha
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes , optional (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds , optional
- Add ingredients up to and including orange zest to plastic storage bag.
- Shake well/distribute ingredients evenly.
- Marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove chicken and whisk cornstarch into reserved sauce.
- Heat frying pan over medium-low heat. Coat lightly with oil.
- Add chicken to pan and flip after 2-3 minutes to brown both sides. After browned lightly, add reserved sauce along with broccoli to pan. Reduce heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir in spinach until it wilts.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and toasted sesame seeds if desired.
- Serve over brown rice.
Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Preheat toaster oven to 350°.Sprinkle seeds in a single layer on foil sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 3-5 minutes, stirring once mid-way through.Be careful, they can burn easily.