Spicy Veggie Sofritas come in handy for all sorts of quick and easy weeknight meals. Try in a whole wheat tortilla with veggies or atop a salad as shown here with a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Add your favorite toppings such as lettuce, tomatoes, shredded cheese and avocado.
Spicy Veggie Sofritas
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 large red onion , chopped
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes , undrained
- 1 jar (7 ounce) chipotle peppers in adobo sauce , undrained
- 2 poblano peppers , seeded and chopped
- 2 limes , juiced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 package frozen veggie crumbles
- 3 cans kidney beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup dry brown rice , prepared according to package instructions
- To large pot, heat canola oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic 3-5 minutes or until onion begins to turn translucent.
- Meanwhile, to food processor, create sauce by blending tomatoes, peppers, lime juice, cocoa and seasonings until smooth.
- To pot, add veggie crumbles, kidney beans and prepared sauce. Stir to combine, cover and cook over low heat 15 minutes to combine flavors, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Stir in rice and cilantro leaves.