These Spinach Broccoli Calzones will be a family pleaser for sure! Cheesy and gooey with some veggies layered in to pack in the nutrition. They are also fun to roll out and assemble as a family. Mix and match your favorite veggie fillings as desired.
For the Calzone dough, follow my Whole Wheat Pizza Dough recipe.
Dip the Calzones in your favorite marinara, or try my Chock Full ‘O’ Veg Tomato Sauce.
Spinach Broccoli Calzones
- 1 Recipe for Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (see Instructions below)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 fresh onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 4 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 3/4 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- Ground oregano , to taste
- Ground pepper , to taste
For the Filling
- Heat oil over medium heat in skillet. Saute garlic and onion for 2-3 minutes, until garlic starts to brown.
- Add broccoli and saute 3 minutes until lightly cooked.
- Add spinach to pan and stir until wilted.
- Using a slotted spatula, remove vegetables from pan and place on paper towels to drain away some of the excess moisture.
For Pizza Dough
- Follow my Whole Wheat Pizza Dough recipe.
- After dough has risen and doubled in size, punch down to release air.
- Split dough in half. Set aside one half. You can store the dough in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
- With the remaining half, divide again so you have 2 equal pieces.Press or roll each dough out on a floured surface to about a 9 inch round.
- Layer 1/2 of the cheeses, followed by 1/2 of the drained veggies on half of each round.
- Top with seasonings if desired.
- Fold over and pinch edges to seal.
- Bake in preheated 500° oven (can use a pizza slab or stone or just a traditional baking sheet lined or greased) until browned, about 11-15 minutes.
- Dip in your favorite marinara or try my Chock Full ‘O’ Veg Tomato Sauce.