Spinach Broccoli Calzones
These calzones will be a family pleaser for sure! Cheesey and gooey with some veggies layered in to pack in the nutrition. They are also fun to roll out and assemble as a family. Mix and match your favorite veggie fillings as desired.
For Pizza Dough
- 1 Recipe for Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (see link below)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 fresh onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 4 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 3/4 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Ground oregano & ground pepper, to taste
For the Filling
- Heat oil over medium heat in skillet. Saute garlic and onion for 2-3 minutes, until garlic starts to brown. Add broccoli and saute 3 minutes until lightly cooked. Add spinach to pan and stir until wilted. Using a slotted spatula, remove vegetables from pan and place on paper towels to drain away some of the excess moisture.
For Pizza Dough
- Follow instructions here: https://virtualrdn.com/whole-wheat-pizza-dough/
- After dough has risen and doubled in size, punch down to release air. Split dough in half. Set aside one half. With the remaining half, divide again so you have 2 equal pieces (You can store the remaining half of the original dough in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months). Press or roll each dough out on a floured surface to about a 9 inch round. Layer 1/2 of the cheeses, followed by 1/2 of the drained veggies on half of this round. Top with seasonings if desired. Fold over and pinch edges to seal.
- Bake in preheated 500 degree oven (can use a pizza slab or stone or just a traditional baking sheet lined with parchment paper) until browned, about 11-15 minutes.
- Slice each calzone in two and enjoy alongside a fresh salad. Dip in your favorite marinara or try this extra veggie-packed sauce here: https://virtualrdn.com/chock-full-o-veg-tomato-sauce/