This Stewed Eggplant Tomato Sauce is a great way to introduce fresh eggplant to the family while melding with other yummy pasta sauce flavors. The added tomatoes and parsley also pack some more nutrients into the dish without varying too far from the pasta saucy goodness. Feel free to sneak in some other complimentary veggies like onion, garlic and mushrooms. Perfect served over whole wheat pasta.
Stewed Eggplant Tomato Sauce
- 2 cups diced eggplant
- 1 jar of your favorite vodka sauce
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper , optional, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese , for serving
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley , for serving
- Add all ingredients except parsley and parmesan to sauce pan.
- Bring to boil, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 to 40 minutes or until eggplant is very tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
- Serve over whole-grain pasta sprinkled lightly with parmesan.