This Sundried Tomato Cauliflower Soup is hearty and creamy and full of earthy Italian flavors. If you aren’t 100% sold on sundried tomatoes, you may still want to give this a go. The basil, garlic, and parmesan add perfect familiar flavors to compliment the adventure of the smoky sundried tomatoes. Add some whole wheat pasta noodles, chickpea or lentil pasta or cheese tortellini to top it off if desired.
Sundried Tomato Cauliflower Soup
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots , chopped
- 1/2 head of cauliflower , cut in florets
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 8-10 oz jar sundried tomatoes packed in oil , separated
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 14 oz canned tomatoes , no salt added
- 1 can white beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 cup basil leaves , loosely packed
- 1 zucchini , sliced
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 3 cups spinach leaves
- cheese tortellini or preferred pasta , optional, prepared according to package instructions and set aside
- Drain oil from sundried tomato jar and set aside 1/4 of the tomatoes. Add 1 Tbsp of reserved oil to soup pot over medium-low heat. Saute carrots, onion, celery and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until onion begins to turn translucent.
- Add cauliflower, broth, 3/4 of the sundried tomatoes, canned tomatoes and dried spices to pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Puree 2/3 of contents of pot using immersion blender (if using standing blender add contents back to pot after pureeing).
- Return to heat. Add zucchini and basil. Simmer for 8 minutes. Stir in sour cream, parmesan and spinach. Top with 1/3 cup of cooked cheese tortellini or preferred pasta if desired, and reserved sundried tomatoes before serving.