This Szechuan Eggplant and Kale stir-fry is a perfect Asian-inspired side dish loaded with nutrients and flavor. The eggplant is tender but not mushy and the kale soaks up the flavors really nicely while keeping a crisp peppery bite. Perfect overtop brown rice or aside Sesame Ginger Salmon
Szechuan Eggplant and Kale
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese 5 Spice
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes , or to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
For Stir Fry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 5 cups eggplant (cut on the diagonal in half inch slivers)
- 7 cups fresh kale leaves (stems removed)
- Whisk together sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Heat sesame oil over medium heat in wok or large sauté pan. Add garlic and eggplant, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add kale leaves and sauce and reduce heat to medium low. Sauté an additional 2-3 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and serve over brown rice.