Adapted from redbookmag.com.
Trailblazing Chex Party Mix
- 10 cups Wheat Chex® cereal (or gluten-free alternative such as corn or rice Chex® or combination)
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 cup almonds (or substitute your favorite nuts)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups banana chips
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried apricots , halved
- Salt , to taste
- In large microwaveable bowl, mix cereal and nuts.
- In 2-cup microwaveable measuring cup, stir together oil, brown sugar, honey and extracts.
- Microwave 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add spices to sugar mixture and stir until combined.
- Pour over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly coated.
- Microwave uncovered for 3 minutes, stirring and scraping bowl after every minute.
- Stir in dried fruits.
- Microwave uncovered for 1 minute.
- Spread on waxed paper or foil to cool, at least 15 minutes, and lightly sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Store in airtight container.
If you have a smaller microwave, you will likely need to divide recipe in half and microwave in batches. Adapted from redbookmag.com.