This Tuscan Kale Ribollita is a thick, luscious soup, packed with Italian flavor. It is loaded with veggies and plant-based protein, and finished with thick cozy bread. If you can, go for fresh herbs in this Tuscan Kale Ribollita; you will feel like you are on a romantic journey through the Tuscan countryside.
The bread added at the end makes this a true Ribollita. It adds a really cozy thickness and super satisfying mouthfeel that sets it apart from other types of soups. So, don’t skip this step, but feel free to use any extra bread you have laying around.
Tuscan Kale Ribollita
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 stalks celery , chopped
- 3 carrots , chopped
- 1 zucchini , chopped
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped
- 1 sweet potato , cubed
- 1 red potato , cubed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano , or 2 tsp dry
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves , or 3/4 tsp ground
- 2 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary , or 2 tsp dry
- pinch allspice
- 5 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes , no salt added
- 3 cups fresh kale leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 2 cans cannellini beans , rinsed and drained
- 2 cups stale bread pieces (I used 2x whole wheat english muffins left out overnight)
- Heat oil in soup pot over medium heat. Saute garlic, onion and celery for 3-4 minutes. or until onion garlic is browned.
- Add remaining vegetables along with spices, broth and tomatoes.
- Bring to boil. Reduce the heat. Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in parsley, kale, beans and bread. Remove bay leaves as able.
- Using an immersion blender or standing blender, blend 1/2-2/3 of the way so there are still some chunks.
- Top with shaved parmesan before serving if desired.