Tuscan Lentil Soup gives an Italian twist to a classic hearty soup. Rich in protein and fiber, lentils make this dish deeply satisfying.
Tuscan Lentil Soup
This soup gives an Italian twist to a classic hearty soup. Rich in protein and fiber, lentils make this dish deeply satisfying.
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 stalks celery , chopped
- 1 large sweet onion , chopped
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped
- 2 yellow squash , sliced
- 1 zucchini squash , sliced
- 1 tablespoon packed rosemary leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano , or 2 teaspoons dry
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes , no salt-added
- 6 cups low-sodium veggie broth
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 5 cups baby kale leaves
- 1 can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 large sweet potato , pre-cooked in microwave for 4-6 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork
- Ground black pepper , to taste
- Grated parmesan cheese , optional
- Fresh parsley . optional
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in large soup pot.
- Saute onion, garlic and celery until onion turns translucent (3-5 minutes).
- Add peppers, squash, herbs and spices. Stir 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes & broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are soft (30-40 minutes).
- Remove from heat. Stir in kale, chic peas , vinegar, and scooped out inside of sweet potato.
- Use an immersion blender (or transfer to standing blender) and pulse ~50% of soup to thicken.
- Season with pepper and top with parmesan and parsley before serving.
- Serve with a chunk of whole grain bread or starter salad.