Twice the Fun Autumn Soup is perfect for warming up on a cool autumn night. The combination of veggies and legumes hits the mark for an array of vitamins, protein and fiber. If you desire less spice, halve the chili powder.
Twice the Fun Autumn Soup
This soup combines 2 different kinds of squash and 2 different kinds of legumes for a sweet, smoky and tangy meld of Autumn flavors with an added kick!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger , about 1/2 inch root
- 3 stalks celery , chopped with leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 zucchini squash , diced
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped
- 2 1/2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 cup beer , pale/lighter flavored
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon molasses (or substitute maple syrup)
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles , undrained
- 1 can black beans , undrained
- 1 can black-eyed peas , drained
- 1 fresh lemon
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Heat canola oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion, ginger and celery, sautéing until onion begins to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add spices and reduce heat to medium, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients except for lemon and cilantro.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered/vented until squash is soft, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in juice of fresh lemon along with fresh cilantro.
- Serve with whole-grain bread or cornbread and side salad.