This Vegan Stuffed Pepper Stew has all the elements of traditional stuffed peppers but healthier and tastier. I like to sneak in some extra veggies and plant-based protein for a vegan soup, but feel free to sub ground meat or turkey (see Notes in recipe below). Regardless, this soup will be warm and soothing on a chilly night.
Vegan Stuffed Pepper Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 zucchini , chopped
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 poblano peppers , seeded and chopped
- 2 green bell peppers , seeded and chopped
- 2 fresh tomatoes , chopped
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 cup veggie crumbles
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (or sub 1 1/2 teaspoon dry)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 6 cups low sodium veggie broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Regular or vegan parmesan cheese , optional
- Add all ingredients into slow-cooker except for vinegar. Cook on low heat for 6 hours or until lentils are soft and crack open.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar.
- Top with parmesan cheese prior to serving if desired.