These Vegetable Enchiladas make for a super simple Mexican weeknight meal, perfect for convincing family that veggies can be the star of a meal and be super enjoyable. Sub in your favorite veggies and toppings. Can serve alongside a fresh salad such as this Very Green Mexican Salad.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion , thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 green bell pepper , thinly sliced
- 1 cup yellow squash , diced in quarter inch pieces
- 1 cup zucchini squash , diced in quarter inch pieces
- 1 cup broccoli , cut in miniature florettes (about 1/2 inch)
- 1 cup cauliflower , cut in miniature florettes
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 8 small whole wheat tortillas
- 1 can vegetarian refried beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro , optional
- 1 fresh jalapeno, sliced , optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 13’’ x 9” pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat oil over medium heat in large skillet or wok. Add onions and garlic, and saute' for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients up to and including lime juice. Sauté for 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender.
- Spread diced tomatoes on the bottom of prepared pan.
- Fill one tortilla at a time with about 1/4 cup refried beans and 3 spoonfuls of vegetables. Gently roll tortilla and place crease-side down in pan. All 8 tortillas should fit snugly in pan.
- Top with shredded cheddar. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and juices are bubbling.
- Top with fresh cilantro or sliced jalapeno if desired before serving. Serve alone or alongside a fresh salad such as this Very Green Mexican Salad.