This Loaded Vegetarian Pho is a healthy twist on a traditional Vietnamese noodle soup. It includes tender tofu and lots of veggies swimming in a delicate broth with unique flavors from the 5-spice blend.
Loaded Vegetarian Pho screams simple and cozy but also a canvas for throwing on your favorite toppings to jazz it up. Because I pack in the veggies, a single bowl will leave you feeling full and satisfied.
Loaded Vegetarian Pho
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 inch piece of ginger root , minced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 onion , thinly sliced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3 stalks celery , chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped carrots (or baby variety)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari)
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
- 1/2 package firm tofu , drained and sliced in strips
- 1 1/2 cups white or green cabbage , cut in bite size chunks
- 1 can baby corn , rinsed and drained
- 2 jalapenos , sliced and divided
- 1 package rice, buckwheat or ramen noodles
- 1 bunch green onions white and light green parts chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
For Pickled Ginger
- 1 tablespoon shaved ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- To pickle ginger: one day in advance, shave ginger using a vegetable peeler. Add to a small sealable container and top with sugar, vinegar and water. Shake well to combine. Store sealed in the refrigerator for 24-72 hours prior to using.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Saute' onion, garlic, ginger and celery for 3-5 minutes or until onion begins to turn translucent.
- Add carrots, mushrooms, soy sauce, veggie broth and 5-spice to pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare noodles according to package instructions and set aside. Tip: to prevent sticking, drop in a splash of oil and toss.
- After 15 minutes is up, add tofu, cabbage, corn, bamboo shoots, and 1 sliced jalapeno to broth. Simmer an additional 4 minutes. Remove from heat.To serve, ladle soup into bowl and top with jalapeno, pickled ginger, green onions, fresh cilantro or your other favorite toppings.