This Vegan Thai Red Curry has all the creaminess and luxuriousness of your favorite Thai takeout but without the guilt. I use 2/3 low-fat coconut milk to 1/3 regular and cut the mixture with some veggie broth to lighten up the saturated fat. I also really pack in the veggies and tofu here so each serving is chock full of nutritional value.
Serve this Vegan Thai Red Curry over brown rice or quinoa if desired. Add your favorite toppings such as sliced jalapeno, cilantro, green onions or Thai basil.
One of these days I’ll practice making my own curry paste, but for now, the Thai Kitchen® brand does the trick. Hope you enjoy!
Vegan Thai Red Curry
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 stalks celery , chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
- 1 large onion , sliced
- 1 jalapeno , sliced
- 2 cans reduced fat coconut milk
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 5 ounces Thai red curry paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups snow peas
- 1 red bell pepper , sliced
- 1 can baby corn , rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch bok choy ,
- 1 can bamboo shoots , rinsed and drained
- 2 broccoli crowns , cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 bricks extra firm tofu , well drained
- 1-2 tablespoons chili sauce such as Srirachi , per spice preference (or substitute 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes)
- Juice of 1 1/2 fresh limes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup leaves fresh cilantro or thai basil
- Optional toppings: sliced chili peppers or green onion
- Heat oil over medium-low heat. Saute ginger, onion, celery and jalapeno for 3-5 minutes, until tender.
- Add coconut milk, broth, curry paste and soy sauce and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Add remaining ingredients up to and including honey. Simmer 4 minutes to avoid overcooking the vegetables.
- Remove from heat and serve over brown rice topped with your favorite toppings.