This Warm and Bright Chard Squash Soup is loaded with colorful veggies. A perfect warm and scrumptious end to a cold Winter day. Together, the veggies and spices will bring you back to some bright flavors of Summer and along with savory flavors of Fall and warm you to the core. Perfect with a chunk of crusty whole-grain bread.
Warm and Bright Chard Squash Soup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 stalks celery , chopped
- 3 shallots , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 7 cups veggie broth
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 zuchinni , diced
- 2 cups butternut squash cubes
- 1 potato , cubed
- 1 can northern beans , rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 4 cups swiss chard leaves , or sub kale or spinach
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ground pepper , to taste
- crumbled blue cheese , optional
- Heat oil over medium heat in large stockpot. Sauté garlic, shallots, and celery for 5 to 7 minutes or until softened.
- Add remaining vegetables and spices (up to and including dried mustard). Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove cover, and stir in chard and vinegar. Remove from heat.
- Season with black pepper, to taste.
- Serve topped with a sprinkle of blue cheese if desired.