This Whole Wheat Mushroom Galette is a healthier spin on a traditional Galette. Here, we swap olive oil for butter and sneak in some whole wheat flour. The dough is still really crusty and flaky and the olive oil flavor shines through. The rosemary compliments the sauteed mushrooms perfectly but feel free to add some thyme or other favorite seasonings.
Enjoy this Whole Wheat Mushroom Galette as a side dish or appetizer. Consider topping with caramelized onions, shredded gruyere, grated parmesan, microgreens, or dipping in tomato sauce. The possibilities are endless! Your guests will think you slaved all night preparing this beauty.
Whole Wheat Mushroom Galette
For Galette Dough
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 8 ounces portobello mushrooms , rinsed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried rosemary leaves
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- grated parmesan or shredded gruyere , optional
- tomato sauce , optional
For Egg Wash
- 1 teaspoon water whisked with 1 egg yolk
- Add flour, salt, sugar and olive oil to food processor or stand-mixer with whisk attachment. Pulse a few times until crumbly texture.
- Stir in water until it clumps together.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and form into a ball.
- Divide dough in half and roll each half into 8 inch round.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in saute pan. Add garlic, mushrooms and rosemary. Saute for 6 minutes.
- Add vinegar and saute 2 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spread half of filling into the center of each 8 inch round leaving 1.5-2 inch borders.
- Fold dough over and brush lightly with egg wash.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese or shredded gruyere if desired.
- Can also top with arugula or microgreens.
- Serve alone or with side of tomato sauce for dipping.