These “fake-out” Asian-inspired Whole Wheat Sesame Lomein noodles are so easy to throw together and a definite crowd-pleaser. Replace tofu with chicken breast and/or add 2 scrambled eggs if desired. Watch my video How to Drain Tofu in 3 Easy Steps.
Whole Wheat Sesame Lomein is like restaurant-style lomein but lightened up and eaten in the comfort of your own home.
Whole Wheat Sesame Lomein
- 1 pound whole wheat or buckwheat noodles
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 pepper , finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper , seeded and finely chopped
- 2 large carrots , cut in slivers or thick grate
- 2 stalks celery , finely chopped
- 1 cup snap peas or green beans , whole or chopped per preference
- 1 can water chestnuts , rinsed and drained then chopped
- 1 can baby corn , rinsed and drained
- 1 brick extra-firm tofu (see Instructions below)
- 2 eggs , whisked, optional
- Green onions , white and light green parts chopped, optional
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds , optional
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil , separated
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Prepare noodles according to package instructions, drain, and set aside.
- To prepare tofu, open package and drain liquid off. Wrap in several layers of paper towels or a lint-free dish towel and weigh down under a cast iron skillet for 2 hours, changing towels once mid-way. Watch my video How to Drain Tofu in 3 Easy Steps.
- Once drained, cut in bite-sized cubes. If you are short on time, wrap brick in layers of paper towels after draining off water. Microwave 2 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Meanwhile, you can prepare the following: chop veggies, whisk eggs in a small dish, prepare noodles, and stir together ingredients for sauce in a separate dish, reserving 1 tablespoon of sesame oil for sauteing. (So Sauce will contain 1 1/2 tablespoons).
- Heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium to medium-high heat. Saute onion, garlic, carrots, pepper and celery for 3 minutes.
- Add tofu and stir-fry 3-5 minutes longer or until beginning to brown on both sides.
- Add whisked eggs and scramble for 1 minute.
- Turn heat down to low. Add in pasta, chestnuts, baby corn and sauce. Toss to evenly coat.
- Top with green onions and sesame seeds prior to serving if desired.