Adapted from redbookmag.com.
Wintry Weather Chex Party Mix
- 10 cups Wheat Chex® cereal (or gluten-free alternative such as corn or rice Chex® or combination)
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup macadamia nuts (or shelled pistachio nuts)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cups dried pears , chopped (if unable to find, substitute dried tart/green apples)
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- Salt , to taste
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- In large microwaveable bowl, mix cereal and nuts.
- In 2-cup microwavable measuring cup, stir together oil, sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract and honey.
- Microwave 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add cardamom to sugar mixture and stir until combined.
- Pour over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly coated.
- Microwave uncovered for 3 minutes, stirring and scraping bowl after every minute.
- Stir in dried fruit and coconut.
- Microwave uncovered for 1 minute.
- Spread on waxed paper or foil to cool, at least 15 minutes, and lightly sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Once cooled, stir in chocolate chips.
- Store in airtight container.
If you have a smaller microwave, you will likely need to divide recipe in half and microwave in batches. Adapted from redbookmag.com.